Thursday, June 10, 2010

A Different Kind of Shopping

I went for a bike ride today not for the exercise but because I was hungry and I was sick of the same old packaged goods that are sold next door at the fale aloa. I left my house with dreams of papaya, eggplant, and maybe if I was lucky a watermelon or pineapple. To my dismay, the typical hotspot road stands were empty. I passed a few selling taro but I was not in the mood for the heavy starch. My goal was to reach the stand about 15 minutes down the road that always looks great from the bus. I biked and biked and when I finally reached what should have been Eden, I was met with the bare wooden frame of a lifeless vegetable stand. Even the plastic lining which the fruits and veggies are normally placed on was missing. Maybe the family had taken a holiday, or was still out working the fields. With much regret, I turned around and started brainstorming what else I might be able to find. As I turned the corner towards my village at three corners (or at the “T” as we call it in America) I was met with a promising sight: there before me was a stand with something other than taro. I indulged my vegetable craving, buying a large bag of fresh cucumbers and tomatoes. I raced home, chopped them up, added in some onion, sprinkled on a light dressing of balsamic vinaigrette and olive oil with a dash of Italian seasoning, and my lunch was served. I never realized how much I valued a good supermarket until they were gone. Then again, the adventure of obtaining food is still fresh and fun, and you never know what you are going to get!

No comments:

Post a Comment