Sunday, April 18, 2010

Unda da sea!


“If your looking for me, you better check under the sea, cause that is where you’ll find me, underneath the seeeealab, underneath the water, seeeeealab, in the bottom of the sea.” Three months and four dive attempts later, I can finally say that I am a PADI certified open water diver! My cursed luck finally came to a close this weekend when Dana, Ali, Supy, and I loaded up the dive boat for the first time since January and took off for our final two days of diving. Of course, nothing could go perfectly smooth for our group and as our boat revved its engines; a storm blew in sprinkling us with water. “So you get a little wet before getting wet” said our amazing French dive instructor, Fabian. No problem.


The main purpose of these four dives, aside from having fun, was to review skills we had learned in our shallow water dive back in January. We played with our buoyancy, practiced breathing through alternative air sources, took off our masks underwater and put them back on, learned how to relieve a cramp underwater, and practiced emergency ascents. I felt like a spaceman floating through air. It was a very cool sensation. The coral where we dove was not as beautiful as the stuff I remember seeing in Barbados, but there was a nice array of fish. We saw a few angelfish, a lionfish, some trumpet fish, tons of tiny iridescent blue fish, and the highlight of the dive, a big barracuda. I am happy to say that I can now officially dive anywhere in the world. How exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment