Saturday, February 6, 2010

Cicrumcise Me?

I was asked to accompany a 17 year old boy to get circumcised. The way it was phrased was that I, as a teacher, am technically a parent to every young adult here in the village, and so since his parents are “stupid,” would you please accompany him to the hospital? I politely declined, stating that although I am honored to be considered every childs’ parent, alas, I am not their mother and I cannot do it. Having failed at the parent approach it was then presented that, as a Peace Corps, I am here to represent the village, and what better way to show I care than accompany this boy? Again I declined. I hope this will not ruin my career here. Somehow I doubt it will be remembered a week from now. And thats the story of the circumcision.

No comments:

Post a Comment